Re: Roar of an Eight - It's A-LIVE!

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Daniel Nees wrote:

> Hey, Kim, do you hear the roar of the V8 drifting your way from Helena
> yet?? I wonder if Mr. Mandera has completed his swap or if he is riding
> the bike to work tommorrow.

Around 3:15am, Sept 8th, my neighbors heard the roar of a V8.. lucky for
them, I'd put an exhaust on... too bad it's not the V8 exhaust from the
'72.. in the interest of time, I re-used the 196 exhaust on the passenger
side (works great), then took my 4" grinder and cut the pipe that goes
from the manifold back from the '72... mount that to the manifold, and
grabbed the 25" 2.25" glasspack I had run on the 196 for a month.. clamp
it on.. and let it just dump exhaust gas under the bed of the Scout...

Vrroom... ahhh... nothing like a V8 on glasspack...

Still a LOT of "details" to clean up (oh, like say.. a HOOD, shroud, more
belts, new p/s hose, etc)

I also found out that, even with my new cooler installed, the power
steering unit doesn't need 1qt of fluid... unfortunately, I found this
out when I climbed in the Scout for the test drive... romped the
throttle, and it was raining... burst the high pressure line.. for
tonight and today, I yanked the p/s belt.. it steers surprisingly well
with 33s and armstrong steering.

I can definitely feel the hestitation off idle..

And... when I push the clutch in, the idle RPM jumps dramtically.. I
haven't connected the ground strap from engine to body yet (details
details)..

Also blew out the clutch pivot bushings *again* while seating the 304
into the T19.  *sigh*

But it runs, and has giddyap.  I'll work it through some more after I get
it "done"

Found out the previous owner of my '77 had "fixed" the bulkhead.. but
wiring the two center wires direct.. had to cut 'em and splice..
naturally no good crimp connectors in 10gauge around.. so they're twisted
together for now..

Of course, I couldn't get the bulkhead connector to snap into place.. or
go around the large wire bundle I was splicing.. first, it seems I had
the connector upside down.. but to fix the "problem" (both it not fitting
like I thought it should, and the large wires not fitting) I grabbed my
grinder and cut the bulkhead connector in half, just choping the center
section out for the 2 re-spliced wires.  Maybe not the brightest thing
I've done, but at 3am, I was (and am) pretty tired... ;)

Fire extinguisher, wire, electrical tape, crimpers & cutters, and
wrenches are all on the front seat.. just in case... :-)

Hmm...

More on my fun experience later today.. right now, I have 3hrs of sleep
ahead of me... :-)

-Tom (love that V8 rumble!) Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs