Re: Judging and snobs

Chris:

> BTW, you Scout guys don't have to worry about the emotional baggage of a *cheap* trophy... there will be PLENTY of nice rigs in all your classes!!

Amen brother! When we got to NWBR, and I went to register, I had
absolutely no interest in showing my rag-a-muffin Terra. But, Joel
insisted that I put it in the "Show and Shine" because it was the only
true Terra there and sure to get an award. Now I thought "Show and
Shine" was just for fun (these are Scouts not hot rods mind you) and
that the people walking around voted for your rig.

Well, low and behold, when I registered it and flopped down my $25
instead of $5, they classed it as Traveler/Terra and I was screwed.
Needless to say there were some Travelers there that could have been in
the Oakland Roadster Show.

On Saturday, when I saw the judges actually going over my Terra with a
"fine tooth comb" and making notes on clipboards, I was completely
embarrassed. I wanted to walk over and say, 'Hey guys forget it. I made
a mistake!"

I've spent a lot of time at car shows and love the whole Scout thing
because it isn't anything like that. There is little or no snobbery and
a much broader acceptance of everyone's vehicles and ideas. Nothing like
the Z/28 club I once hung around with.

And, I agree. The judges determination is final and they shouldn't have
to listen to criticism from people who don't agree. But, their findings
should be public if anonymous. That way there is little question that
everything was above board.

Tom H.