Re: Flecks cams...

Steve:

I would politely agree and disagree.

Welding up and grinding down works for many non-critical parts. But,
even a good machinest will tell you, not to do that with your front
spindles (don't ask why I know this) for instance.

As the kind person steeped in metalurgical lore explained to me, "If I
weld those holes up in that spindle and turn it down on the lathe, use
the right rod and don't overheat the spindle, it SHOULD work out fine.
But, if the spindle's integrity is the least bit affected from the heat,
or the welded on material doesn't hold quite right, it is your LIFE that
would be riding on that outside chance. Go buy a new or used spindle and
use that. Leave the 'weld up, grind down' to less important objects like
the tips on an auger or a non-critical part of the car."

Tom H.