Re: Quarter panel replacement

On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 16:56:51 -0600 "Robert H. Hughes"
<robhughes100@domain.elided> writes:
>Harvesters, Howard,
>
>I'm in the process of removing my old rusty quarter panels and replacing
>them with fiberglass panels from Howteron.  The instructions
>specifically say that I don't need to remove the tailgate to install the
>new panels.  The FAQ on the Binder Bulletin makes no mention of removing
>the tailgate.
>
>However, I can't see how to get the old panels off without removing the
>tailgate.  The 'lip' seems to go under the 2 bolt tailgate mount.  I'd
>just take it off, but the bolts are frozen solid, and, as stated above,
>I've been led to believe that I don't need to take the tailgate off.

I'd say it should be possible to cut fender lip and leave it under the
hinge brackets as the fiberglass quarters are cut away so they don't go
under that bracket.

But if it were my Scout, I wouldn't do it.

Why, you ask?

Because with my luck, within 6 months of getting my new quarters painted,
a large tree or other supposedly immovable object would leap out against
the center of my tailgate, damaging it beyond repair and I would then be
faced with getting it off without damaging my new quarters and paint.
Now, with the old quarters off, you can heat the bolts, cut, grind, and
do whatever you need to do to get to get it loose and the mounting
repaired much more easily.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]