Re: White Smoke

BeeX4@domain.elided wrote:

> In a message dated 9/2/98 1:39:59 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
> stegman@domain.elided writes:
>
> << BTW the IHC valve stem seaks are designed to leak a bit. >>
>
> OK Steve, you got my attention, about how much are these thing SUPPOSED to
> leak.  Mine have always done it and I figured since the thing was 25 years old
> when I got it, a little puff at start up is acceptable, but it has always
> bugged me.
> I don't have any idea how you would measure the acceptable size of a start up
> cloud of smoke but my guess is mine is usually smaller than the bed, but not
> by much.  Normal?  Mebbe one of these far more intelligent (than I) IH'ers
> could come up with some genius mathmatical calculation to measure the puff as
> it passes through the front door at WalMart???
> Brian
> '65 D1200 4X4 345 4bbl 4.11 the "Taxi"

Brian-

Once again, I am far from being an expert about much of anything, but my
IH mentor-Tom Harais-once told me that he thought IH used a valve
("umbrella" shaped, perhaps) that was made to allow a certain amount of
oil to trickle into the cylinder, so that it would be lubricated on
start up.  If this were true, it would keep the cylinders from having
that initial moment of movement with little to no lubrication on the
cylinder walls.
I saw a later post that spoke of the different types of valves used, and
their respective reasons/advantages, but don't recall specifically.  I
will add that I just got my '68 T'all back a feew months ago from a
COMPLETE rebuild, and it smoked the second I started it up the first
time.  Three mechanics I talked to about this all said that it was pure
IH.  I was afraid that there was something wrong with the build, or that
it hadn't been built at all and I had been robbed!  Unless there is a
national network of IH specialized mechanics set up just to screw me on
this one, I believe it to be true, as these mechanics were in three
different states!
As for the size of my "White Cloud," it doesn't sound quite as large as
yours-the size of the whole bed, but you can see it without straining,
coming from both sides of my duals, I believe.

Michael

'73 Scout II (Finally Running, but looking for a body!)
'68 T'all "Old Blue"