RE: Lots of Questions! - AMC Flywheels

I've been meaning to respond to this lately but I've been real busy.  The
AMC V8 (and 258 I-6) flywheels and flex plates are specific to each engine
as the engines are externally balanced.  I don't know about the 304 flywheel
but new AMC 360 flywheels are available new from Jeep for $115.00.  You will
need to let Jeep know the year of the engine also as the flywheels changes
based on that too.  As for the clutch assembly, I have not confirmed what I
will be using for my AMC 360 when I swap out my 258.  I was just going to
take my new flywheel and old pressure plate / clutch assembly to the parts
store (found a good one in Brea, Ca. that carries a bunch of obscure parts)
and see what I could make work when the time came.

On an additional note I would think twice about swapping a 304 for a 258 for
a few reasons.  The AMC 304 is not all that powerful an engine.  When I
found a good one real cheep I looked into what I would have to do to make it
make the power I wanted and it would have cost a lot of money just to get it
on par with a stock AMC 360.  I (and everyone I talked to regarding the AMC
V8s) suggest going with a 360 or 401 and the parts are cheapest for the 360.

I would also like to find out what you plan on getting the 304 from so we
can talk motor mounts.  There are many different versions for these engines.

Pete Shubin
'72 Scout II with AMC 258 and T-18 (soon to be replaced with an '73 AMC 360
that is currently tore down and taking up my work bench space)