Re: RFI to Ignitions

Howard R Pletcher wrote:

While testing, some of the mechanics found it
was fun to wait till a new motorcycle which had
electronic ignition came past--Key the radio and
watch cycle coast to a stop.   When they finally
took pity on the guy, they'd unkey the radio and
the cycle would start again.

        Howard and all,

        Way back in the good old days when 1.2
        GHz repeaters and radios were rare, I used
        to have a personal/open repeater for my own
        use - a pre-cellular telephone system.

        One interesting side effect of having a 1.2
        GHz mobile was car alarms.  At 100 watts,
        it would scramble alarms if you keyed the
        mike - even with the ignition on.

        I used to love to drive up next to a car that
        I thought had an alarm and key the mic.
        If I was lucky, the alarm would go off and the
        owners would have this really funny look!!!!

        Then I got my own car alarm and it didn't
        seem so funny anymore!!

        Later ya'll....

        Tom Francis (tomf@domain.elided)
        S. Woodstock, CT