Scout Probs

My try at remote diagnosis on Mike's demon spawn Scout-

A combination of 2 problems, both at the carb, could cause the symptoms
you describe.  If the accellerator pump circuit is set too light it will
cause hesitation.  There are a couple of holes in the bracket that
affect the amount of fuel pumped.  If the float level is set too low
it can cause surging on the highway.  Both of these will be masked to
some degree by a properly operating choke.  So it will run better cold.
Having said all that, I think you should swap the coil too.  It is a good
suspect for the 'micro-stalls' (which could simply be typical early '70's
lean surge).

Bob
77 Scout II
LIOR