Tom's oily skin...

     Tom,

        If the oil smoke is that bad, try this.  After you run the engine
     for a good 1/2 hour, then clean your hands, and wipe one finger in the
     exhaust pipe.  If it comes out oily then bingo.  My Uncle taught me
     this when buying a truck.  If it comes out black and chalky then it
     doesn't sound like oil smoke.  If it's a leaky head gasket, then you
     will see a definite drop in the coolant level over time.  If the v8 is
     equipped with a radiator overflow/recovery tank, you will notice the
     level in there going down.  Maybe keep an eye on that for a while, and
     see what comes of that.  I would only as a last resort, remove the
     heads.  It really sounds like there may be something else wrong here.
     Drain and refill with good gas (old gas will retain water and burn
     poorly thus creating white smoke) and water goes to the bottom of the
     tank where it goes into the pickup quicker.  Also get a bottle of
     alcohol-water absorbant, to try to remove the water that is in the
     tank (if any)  Remember, your dips$#t mechanic could have done
     anything!  Drain and refill the fuel tank.  Change the fuel filter.
     Drain and refill the oil, check the compression both wet and dry (wet
     meaning with a tablespoon of oil or so in the cyl.) and then report
     back, but by all means wait to remove the heads!  Also check for water
     in the valve covers if the oil cap was left off, or if your mechanic
     did something.  Water can leak past the already worn valve guides and
     into the engine.  I've seen 10 year old yard engines start up after
     sitting outside, but they had water in everywhere!  Check twice, on
     everything before you take the heads off!

        Wow!  You're gonna have a V8!

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727 RE8000, Cibie40s, custom
                rear tire rack, 6 different color body panels.
                Not much sport, all utility.
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727 Hummer brush guard,
                3/4T rear springs, Hella Rallye 2000s, Con-Ferr 5x7,
                Class IV hitches front and rear, 3" Exhaust.
                1st Place, Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous,
                3rd Place, Tulare IH Western Regionals.
         '74 IHC Travelall 150? 2wd 392/tf727 "The 'new' one"
                Factory AM/FM, Cruise, Tilt, AC, Captains Chairs.