Re: RFI to Ignitions

On Tue, 01 Sep 1998 19:03:31 GMT jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
writes:

>John, Allen, et. al.
>
>Don't discount some major effect that electromagnetic interference
>generated by the power amp might be having on the EFI computer.  The
owners
>manual for my 87 Subaru clearly warns not to install a radio transmitter
>coax or antenna (even a low power CB radio) anywhere near the electronic
>engine management system computer.
>
>When I used to fly helicopters in the Army, back in the very early
>experimental days of flying with NVG's (Night Vision Goggles), when we'd
>key up the UHF radio, many of the goggles would immediately shut down,
just
>as if turned off.  These weren't super high powered radios either.  It
was
>simply some sort of interference with the electronic intensifier tubes
in
>the goggles.  I had it happen to me one time, and that was enough to
teach
>me never again to use the UHF radio while flying under NVG's.  Later
>revisions of NVG's quickly fixed the problem.

Back in the early days of anti-skid air brakes, starting in 1975, one of
the problems that appeared was the brakes could go into their anit-skid
mode in the presence of strong radio signals--100+ watts, 50 Mhz and
above (not CB signals).  While testing, some of the mechanics found it
was fun to wait till a new motorcycle which had electronic ignition came
past--Key the radio and watch cycle coast to a stop.   When they finally
took pity on the guy, they'd unkey the radio and the cycle would start
again.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]