Re: Hard Starting T'all

>Yes--I have wondered about gas boiling out of the float boal.  Until
>just this minute, I thought that my seeing the acceleartor pump
>squirting fuel precluded this as the cause of my problem.  However, it
>has now occurred to me that the squirts might mean that there is fuel
>in the *line*, but not necessarily in the float bowl(s?).

On the 2300 the accelerator pump is mounted to the bottom of the float
bowl. It is possible for the fuel to be lower then the jets, but still
cover the accelerator pump.  These fuel bowls hold a lot of fuel and I
wouldn't think that much fuel would boil out, Unless....your float level is
too low to begin with. With the engine running the fuel should be at the
bottom edge of the sight plug hole (on the side of the float bowl).

>By the way, I don't think I have EGR, do I ('65, remember)?

Not in '65 unless someone switched the intake. The EGR port, which could
have a valve bolt on or be covered by a plate, would be on the intake
behind the carburetor.

>I would be tempted to agree with you here, except for the following:
>(1) My carburetor is *not* jetted rich!  If my memory is correct, and
>if my carb's rebuilder is correct, the original jets for the 2300 were
>55s, and my carb is jetted with 51s.  He (the rebuilder) claims that
>this is about correct, for 5,000 feet.  (2) I have a manual choke.
>There is little room for adjustment there, I think, short of assuring
>that it is closed when pushed in, and open when pulled out.

I would definitely agree with you that your carb is not jetted rich (maybe
lean, does it surge on the highway?). I have a 2300 jetted with 61s (304
V8), which is only slightly on the rich side (6,000 feet elevation).

Your right there's really no adjustment with the manual. You can adjust the
fast idle speed.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs
1980 Scout