Re: Hard Starting T'all

In a near-brilliant stroke of genius, John A. Landy <jlandry@domain.elided>
replied to my original stroke of genius:

<snip of some near-brilliant genius>

>I know for sure the fuel will boil in the carb's float bowls
>after a hot shutdown, but a heat insulating gasket can help (but not
>completely) eliminate this phenomenon.  Those IH manifolds, especially the
>ones with EGR, run damned hot!

Yes--I have wondered about gas boiling out of the float boal.  Until
just this minute, I thought that my seeing the acceleartor pump
squirting fuel precluded this as the cause of my problem.  However, it
has now occurred to me that the squirts might mean that there is fuel
in the *line*, but not necessarily in the float bowl(s?).  I wonder if
the choke should make any difference, in this situation.  If the
problem is fuel boiling out of the float bowls, then the choke probably
should not help, and should, in fact, probably hurt: with a warm engine,
the *mixture* should not be enriched--it just needs gas!  Closing the
choke doesn't fill the float bowls any faster (I don't think).  I
wonder if I should put in an electrical fuel pump....

By the way, I don't think I have EGR, do I ('65, remember)?

<more near-brilliance snipped>

>As far as your choke goes, it sounds to me like either the choke is
>improperly adjusted *or* your carburetor is jetted so rich already that
>applying the choke just goes to far.  If you have an IH shop manual, there
>are detailed procedures for setting the choke mechanism... both the linkage
>on the carb *and* the bimetal spring on the manifold (I assume you have the
>divorced bi-metal spring type).

I would be tempted to agree with you here, except for the following:
(1) My carburetor is *not* jetted rich!  If my memory is correct, and
if my carb's rebuilder is correct, the original jets for the 2300 were
55s, and my carb is jetted with 51s.  He (the rebuilder) claims that
this is about correct, for 5,000 feet.  (2) I have a manual choke.
There is little room for adjustment there, I think, short of assuring
that it is closed when pushed in, and open when pulled out.

<snip of more of my stroke of genius>

>Learn to accept your IH truck as it is... show it unconditional love, and
>it will love you back!

This, I am well on my way to doing!

PB Schechter
pb@domain.elided