Re: Hard Starting T'all

In a brilliant stroke of genius, PB Schechter <pb@domain.elided> blurted
out:

>*Here* is the question:)  When it is warm, it can be *very* hard to start.

>Is this a "classic" problem, that someone will
>say, "Oh--*this* is what you do to fix this well known problem"?  If
>no one can tell me just what to do to fix this, can anyone tell me what

I've always had this *exact* same problem with my 76 Scout, V345A.  It did
it when I had the original Holley 2210C and now it does it with a four
barrel Edelbrock.  Immediate restarting is fine, but let it sit for over 15
minutes or longer and it takes lots of cranking.  I've been through all
sorts of ignition upgrades and while the amount of cranking has varied,
nothing solved the problem.

I've been through different carbs and a myriad of different calibration
(jets, rods, etc.) settings and none of those eliminated the problem or
seemed to have significantly affected it one way or the other.

Like you I've never been able to narrow it down to fuel starvation or
flooding.  I know for sure the fuel will boil in the carb's float bowls
after a hot shutdown, but a heat insulating gasket can help (but not
completely) eliminate this phenomenon.  Those IH manifolds, especially the
ones with EGR, run damned hot!

I run a manual choke now, and I've tried every sort of starting procedure I
can think of... choke... no choke... one full pump of the pedal with and
without the choke... etc. etc.  I've only been successful at flooding the
thing by screwing around.  I just find it's easiest to just hold the pedal
about halfway and let her crank as long as needed.  She starts up just fine
that way with a minimum of fuss.  It beats me!

Your not the only one I've heard this complaint from either, so I'd say
this problem might be approaching "classic" status!

As far as your choke goes, it sounds to me like either the choke is
improperly adjusted *or* your carburetor is jetted so rich already that
applying the choke just goes to far.  If you have an IH shop manual, there
are detailed procedures for setting the choke mechanism... both the linkage
on the carb *and* the bimetal spring on the manifold (I assume you have the
divorced bi-metal spring type).

>Any help is greatly appreciated!

Learn to accept your IH truck as it is... show it unconditional love, and
it will love you back!

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model