It's Better!!!!!!!!

YESSS!!!!

I went out, r-timed the damn Scout to about 10 degrees BTDC(?), and went
for a drive.  It runs great!!!  The idle is set a little too high, but I
am not going to touch anything for several days unless something breaks!
I guess it was the combination of the carb and the timing that were the
most recent probs, as I hadn't timed it since I rebuilt the carb, but
Tom H. and I had timed it before that.  I had tinkered with the timing
before the carb a bit-so don't blame Tom H. for this one!  But I just
assumed that the timing was still close enough to not cause the trouble.
It ran terrific, though I can't really open it up as there are only two
screws in the windshield frame and one bolt on each side holding the top
down, but it didn's hesitate at all.  Even under heavy throttle.  Now I
know that what I was hearing most likely was a "ping" which adds to my
educational process.
The biggest thing that sucks now is figuring out what the initial
problem was, and which of the other things I did corrected it.  It was
so violent before that it seemed nothing like this problem, although I
think it was pinging before too, as that was the first indication I ever
got that something was going south!  Now, just to get that Scout 800
body from Needles, CA to throw my 345 in, and then I'll be ready to sell
some parts!
Thanks to all for all of the help!  Sorry to those of you that are
saying, "Geesh!!!  I can't believe he hadn't already checked that!"  I
had, but just not since I guess I messed it up again!
Hugs and Kisses to all... Of your female friends and all of the female
digest members!  Sorry, I may live in San Francisco, and I may be very
happy right now, but I ain't never that happy!!!

Michael