Re: Scout Troubles

When the truth serum kicked in, "Rebecca A. Bass" <thefarm@domain.elided> blurted
out...

>I am having a problem with my scout.  It dies when you hit a sharp bump in
>the road.  Most of the time you can slip it into neutral and it will start
>right back up. Sometimes when it dies it will backfire.
>Sometimes it is hard to start back up, almsot like it is flooded, but its
>not.
>I have check the battery connection. What else can I check? Could the gold
>box have anything to do with this?
>Please help, supposed to go hunting this coming weekend.

Becky,

This sounds like a classic loose electrical connection.  Yes it could be the
gold box (if you have one - you did't tell use what year your Scout is), but
more likely, you have a weak or corroded connection somewhere.  The first
place I'd look would be the multi-pin firewall bulkhead connectors.  Try
unplugging it, spraying the connection pins / sockets with something like
contact cleaner or failing that WD-40.  Re-plug in and pull apart the
connectors several times.

You could also have a loose connection anywhere in the ignition system.  Check
the gold box connectors.  Check the coil and distributor connectors, etc.
Lastly, don't forget the multi-pin connector on the ignition switch on the
lower part of the steering column under the dash.

Good luck,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    | "A fear of weapons is a
Conservative Libertarian      |  sign of retarded sexual
Life Member of the NRA        |  and emotional maturity."
WA Arms Collectors            |                          - Sigmund Freud
Capital City Rifle & Pistol   |                    "General Introduction
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |                      to Psychoanalysis"