Re: MSD box

When the truth serum kicked in, Darrel Kline <darrelk@domain.elided>
blurted out...

>>When I originally installed my MSD 6A, I went ahead and installed an MSD
>>Blaster 3 coil.  I'm still using that coil with the new Pertronix Ignitor.
>
>John,
>I was just looking at my 1997 MSD catalog and it lists the Blaster 3
>primary as having .7 ohms of resistance. The Ignitor requires a minimum of
>1.5 ohms?

Darrel,

You might have just saved the long term health of my new Pertronix Ignitor!!!

I just took it for granted that the Blaster III coil was 1.5 Ohms or greater.
I didn't bother to measure it.  I just ran out to my truck and measured my
Blaster III and found it to be averaging about 1.0 Ohms.  I say "averaging"
because my digital multimeter was fluctuating between 0.9 and 1.1 Ohms.  The
coil is warm (resistance increases with heat), so the 0.7 factory spec seems
likely.

Now I'm faced with either dropping my old IH coil back in or finding something
else.  Wait... I wonder if it would be kosher to simply add a high amp 0.8 Ohm
(or greater) resistor in series with the coil's primary wiring???  Anyone?

I just re-read the sheet that came with the Ignitor, and now I'm having second
thoughts about what they are trying to say.  The notes read as follows...

Coils - The Ignitor will work with any coil regardless of voltage output (OEM
or after-market high performance) that was designed for use with "points".

CAUTION: Never use an "HEI" type coil with the Ignitor.  This type of coil
will provide too much current to the Ignitor causing it to burn out and void
the warranty.  (The minimum resistance of 1.5 Ohms across the "+" and "-" of
the coil.)

So now on second thought I'm wondering if they are only talking about the 1.5
Ohms in regards to the HEI type coil?  They seem to go through all the trouble
to state that it's compatible with "any" coil and the 1.5 Ohms is mentioned
only after the HEI type coil caution.

I guess I'll have to call them again and straighten this out.

Thanks again Darrel!

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    | "A fear of weapons is a
Conservative Libertarian      |  sign of retarded sexual
Life Member of the NRA        |  and emotional maturity."
WA Arms Collectors            |                          - Sigmund Freud
Capital City Rifle & Pistol   |                    "General Introduction
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |                      to Psychoanalysis"