Scout Troubles

Digesters,
I am having a problem with my scout.  It dies when you hit a sharp bump in
the road.  Most of the time you can slip it into neutral and it will start
right back up. Sometimes when it dies it will backfire.
Sometimes it is hard to start back up, almsot like it is flooded, but its
not.
I have check the battery connection. What else can I check? Could the gold
box have anything to do with this?
Please help, supposed to go hunting this coming weekend.
Thank you,
Becky Bass
thefarm@domain.elided