Re: points ect.

When the truth serum kicked in, Gordon Groves <ggroves100@domain.elided>
blurted out...

>I phoned Pertronix and they don't make a set up for my "54 Travelall (or
>my '51 chevy 1/2 ton) so Im wondering if there is some other way of
>upgrading my ignition system ,mabey "Split fire" plugs or some other
>premium plug?

DON'T waste your money on Split Fire plugs!  I'm not going to tell you they
are "bad" per se, they are just no better than your typical $0.99 Champion or
the like.  Split Fire plugs are not a good value for the outrageous price the
sell for.  Instead, invest in a good set of platinum plugs if you like.  I'm
partial to Bosch Platinum plugs, but almost all plug manufactures offer a
suitable equivalent.

But you'll likely not feel any performance difference.  Basically you can
expect a well design platinum plug to last longer and possibly stay cleaner.

>how bout a "Hot" coil? And for those of you still running
>points the "Blue streak" brand is very high quality noticed a big
>improvement over the brand"X" that I was getting from the local auto
>parts store they seem to last longer as well.

If you decide to go with a hotter coil, make sure it's breaker-point
compatible and then make sure your plug wires are in top condition.  A good
set of premium plug wires can't hurt and will insure years of trouble free
ignition.

As to upgrading, it might be possible to completely replace the distributor,
but it might involve having to machine the shaft of a new distributor so it
will fit the engine and so the drive gear can be pressed on.  That would be an
involved project, but not impossible.

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    | "A fear of weapons is a
Conservative Libertarian      |  sign of retarded sexual
Life Member of the NRA        |  and emotional maturity."
WA Arms Collectors            |                          - Sigmund Freud
Capital City Rifle & Pistol   |                    "General Introduction
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |                      to Psychoanalysis"