Re: Choosing the Right Mufflers

Mike:

I know there is a FAQ covering this and more than one article I've seen.

It is true that you can go oversize on the primaries for headers such
that you somewhat affect low end torque. However, I don't accept that
you can oversize the exhaust system after the collectors for any engine.
Your not going to decrease torque by going to big with exhaust
pipe/muffler pipe size. You can "overkill" that is, go bigger with
little or no additional benefit. But the general rule post headers is,
the bigger the better because the exahust flows freer.

Personally, I'd go with the 2-1/2" if there is little or no problem
locationally or additional cost over the 2-1/4".

If someone disputes this, fine. But provide some real world figures that
show that 2-1/4" is working better than 2-1/2" on an IH application.

Tom H.