Re: MSD box

In a brilliant stroke of genius, Mark A Pepe <mpepe@domain.elided> blurted
out:

>     All this talk of the MSD failure has promted me to go look for the
>jumper wires that came with it. Also, just out of curiosity, where was
>your box mounted John, knowing you I'm sure it was a good spot complete
>with insulated wrappings and such but I was just wondering. I saw it at
>Tulare but can't remember.

I mounted mine on the upper firewall, just to the driver's side from
center... about where the deceleration control valve once was.  I mounted
it using sheet metal screws and rubber washers so that it stood off the
firewall by maybe 1/16".  I did not wrap it or protect it in any other way.

>	also, I'm sure it's around here but could you forward me the info
>on the Pertonix. (where you bought it from, I remember the $75 part)

Northern Auto Parts Warehouse (www.naparts.com) sells the Pertronix for
only $59.95 + UPS shipping.  The cheapest I've ever heard of.  My total
came to $67.46 with shipping.  It's not listed directly in their catalog,
so they will look it up.  For a Holley distributor in a V8, it's Pertronix
part number 1481.  For use with a four cylinder, you need part number 1482.
The difference between the two kits would be the number of cobalt magnets
in the magnet wheel.

>	I wonder if MSD would fix it and if or what they would charge in
>the interest of recouping some of the cost.

MSD units have a 12 month warrantee.  I've had mine for 14 months...
perfect timing.  Outside of the warrantee period, they will repair the unit
for a minimum charge of $15.00 to a maximum ceiling of $65.00, if shipped
to them prepaid.  They will repair the unit and return it UPS Ground COD.
You have no way to know what you'll be charged until it shows back up by
COD (that's what they told me on the telephone).  I shipped mine out last
week and will see what happens.  I'm hoping they feel sorry for me and send
it back repaired at no charge... many companies do such things to promote
good will.  They told me their current repair turn around time is running
approximately 10 days.

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model