Re: Scout shackle reversal

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Bob Blair wrote:

> This is the same malady that affected Tom Mandera's Scout.  Is there a remedy?

Gee, Bob.. I thought this happened because I had a 4cyl, and the extra
200lbs of a V8 would help it.. ;)

> I'm thinking of a bumpstop-like device to limit travel.  Any ideas?

Same here.  Or some type of "anti-kickback" arrangement.

I was thinking, if I were to remove the stabilizer all the time, of using
two straight flat-stock shackles (vs. the inside "L" side of the front
shackles).  Use longer bolts, and attach 4 pieces of strap steel to each
shackle.. one piece on each end of each bolt.  Bring the 4 pieces back,
angle them into a big triangle, drill a hole through all 4 as they
overlap, and insert a bolt.  Set this up so that the bolt will hit the
frame rail just before reaching the "point of no return" on flipping the
shackles backwards.

Can't do it with the stock sway bar in place, since it uses the "L"
brackets on the inside.. of course, you could always weld something up..

Other option is to weld a bar across the top backside of the shackle, to
limit rearward motion.

Or.. do a reverse shackle!

-Tom