Stacey's Tech Tips

We spent a good bit of this evening trying to unload a '66 Impala station
wagon from the trailer.  Sounds easy, right?  Not when all four wheels are
stuck and three tires are flat.  I chained it to a pole, put the ramps on the
trailer, and got ready to pull the trailer out.  Stacey said she didn't think
it was a good idea to use the ramps, but I wanted to so the car wouldn't just
drop off the trailer.  I didn't want to hit the tranny on the trailer and take
a chance on screwing it up.  I gave it a good tug and moved a little.  After 4
or 5 more tugs with the Travelette (See, this is IH related) it had moved
about a foot and wouldn't go any further.  The truck was just smoking the
tires on the hard clay.  Then Stacey suggested that we put soapy water on the
trailer.  Sounded like a good idea to me.  We tried it and it worked great.
We got the back wheels to ramps but it didn't line up quite right so the ramps
started to kick out and the car got stuck.  I spent the next half hour or so
using the Hi-Lift to do all kinds of less than confidence inspiring work to
get the car up and the ramps out.  Of course, I got to listen to Stacey say
"What was that I said about not using the ramps?"  Once the ramps were out,
the car came right off.  And guess what, it didn't hit anything on the trailer
on the way off.  Maybe one of these days I'll learn to listen to her before I
get my ass in a sling.

You're probably wondering why I would want an Impala station wagon with 4
stuck wheels, 3 flat tires, a rusted out body, a gas tank held in by a seat
belt, weighs more than a full-size IH 4wd, and is about 8 inches wider and a
couple feet longer.  It just happens to have the correct 300 hp 327 for my '66
Impala SS convertible and even has a 12-bolt rear end along with several other
useful bits and pieces.  I couldn't buy just the engine.  I had to haul the
whole car away to get it.  Maybe at Nationals we can tell the story about how
it took the entire weekend for the car to make the 60 mile journey back to our
house.

Jerry Muncie
IHMagellan@domain.elided
1980 Scout CVI Hot Stuff
1979 Scout II
1973 1210 Travelette (daily driver)
1992 YJ (my wife's ride)
1966 Impala SS Convertible
Midas SSII basket case (contemplating restoration)
A herd of parts trucks out in the pasture

Check out my web site at http://members.aol.com/ihmagellan/index.html