Carb Problem

Well, I've done it again!!!

I've been rebuilding the carb (Holley 2210) for my '73 Scout (345, 727,
AC), although at a leisurely pace.  I took it off about two weeks ago,
took it apart about a week ago, and put it back together tonight.  As I
was putting in the last of the five throttle body screws that hold it to
the bowl section, it would not tighten.  It was stripped.  I don't
remember it coming out too easily to indicate it was stripped, and I
certainly didn't use enough force to strip it before it was spinning
free, but it is stripped nonetheless.
So the question is:  Will I be able to get results with four of the five
screws tightened down well?  This is the infamous pile that I have had
for a year and two months now that I began trying to tinker into running
condition right about a year ago.  The thing is rusty as hell and no
prize winner, but I just want to get the engine running so that I can
buy another Scout to swap the engine into.  I do not want to buy a new
carb just to find out that I am still having trouble.  The thing is not
worth it!  So if I cannot get results with this carb, I may just sell
the thing off as a non-runner!  I desperately want to get it going-as
much out of pride as anything else, but it is nearing time to "know when
to say, 'when!'"  I have put more time in this heap than any car is
worth, and my school keeps getting harder and harder and more time
consuming.  If anyone has any suggestions of a fix that will allow me to
simply assess this carb, please let me know.  At this moment I am going
to finish it and put it on and see what happens, but if it is still not
right, is there any way to tell if I have a carb problem without getting
another one.
Also-this is way off base, but you guys are the best mechanics I know
and I need some advice.  A friend with a '90 Plymouth Voyager can start
the thing, but it dies in about ten seconds even with the pedal to the
floor.  I sprayed starting fluid in it and it died even when I was
spraying the fluid as he was revving.  My thinking was that if it was a
pump problem, it probably wouldn't even start.  I rationalized around
this, but still think this is true.  I sprayed a ton of cleaner in the
carb and moved the throttle and the next time he started it it lasted
about thirty seconds before dying.  I think it probably needs a carb or
rebuild, but don't want him to spend the money unless I'm more
confident.  Any of you have any suggestions?  It's a four cylinder.  Are
these carbs hard to rebuild?
Sorry for the non-IH post, but I was working on both tonight, and was
hoping someone could help!

Michael