Re: Carb Problem

As the putrid festering facial boil erupted, "Joseph M. Shaw, II"
<MikeIIDC@domain.elided> yelled:

>I've been rebuilding the carb (Holley 2210) for my '73 Scout (345, 727,
>AC), although at a leisurely pace.  I took it off about two weeks ago,
>took it apart about a week ago, and put it back together tonight.  As I
>was putting in the last of the five throttle body screws that hold it to
>the bowl section, it would not tighten.  It was stripped.  I don't
>remember it coming out too easily to indicate it was stripped, and I
>certainly didn't use enough force to strip it before it was spinning
>free, but it is stripped nonetheless.

Mike,

Depending on which screw is stripped, the carb should be fine for temporary
use as is.  You could use some non-hardening Loctite to help secure the
stripped screw.   A more permanent fix would be to work some epoxy putty
(J.B. Weld would be perfect) into the cleaned hole, then carefully drilling
and retapping the hole.  John H. mentioned he recently used a small drill
bit turning in reverse to "auger" some epoxy into a crack or hole.  You
could use your fingers to turn the bit.  This technique would insure you
get epoxy down to the bottom of the hole without bubbles.  After the
repair, you'd have to be very careful not to over tighten the screw though.
Luckily, the design of the 2210C is such that the fuel sits down in the
float bowl and isn't very prone to leaking out.

Good luck,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |   I want to know the TRUTH about our
Conservative Libertarian         |     government's secret operations.
Life Member of the NRA           |
WA Arms Collectors               | That's why I watch the X-Files on FOX!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model