Re: Carb Kits

Tom wrote:
>OK.. I'm picking up the parts I need to make my '72 304V8 run well again...
>it's a '72 304V8, with a new Holley 2300, 350cfm, "7448-1" carb.  It's in
>need of a new power valve, 8.5in according to the auto parts guys, for $7.99.

8.5 in sounds about right. I used a 5in unit in my 2300 just because that's
what came with the carb kit. I would probably pick up a little power with
the 8.5 unit. You just need the rating low enough so that the power valve
isn't constantly kicking in unless you really have your foot in it.

>I'm also going to get the $21.49 "Off-road" kit with the spring-loaded
>needle and seat.  I don't know if it has an off-tilt problem or not... but I
>figure I'll fix it before it's an issue. ;)

Definitely not a bad idea. This is to keep the float from bouncing up and
down, which causes the float bowl to overfill and flood the engine. A
pressure regulator really helps also. Of course, if your really rock
*Crawling* it's not as important <g>.

The only problem I've had is running rich up in the "hills".  Colorado
Springs is about 6,000 feet and the passes go as high 14,000.  My solution
for wheel'n at higher elevations, which has worked well, is too lower the
fuel level in the bowl to about 1/8 inch under the sight plug, and turn the
idle screws most of the way in. A lot has to do with your fuel pressure, my
pump isn't very strong so it doesn't over-power the float.

>The "Power Valve Saver" is another $10.49... I was told it has something
>like a washer and instructions for drilling it or something... is it worth
>the hassle?

Myself, I wouldn't bother. In my experience if you keep your Scout running
half-way decent blown valves won't be a problem.

>I have some #56 jets lying around.. not sure what's in it.  I'll check those
>and see if I want to make a change yet, or wait 'till after I run the motor
>in the '77 for a little while.

On my 304 I'm running 61's which is slightly rich.

>I'm also going to ask about a phenolic carb spacer for the 2bbl... again, to
>avoid any potential heat related issues.

Another good idea. My carb gets extremely hot to the touch and will boil
the fuel.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs