Starting woes, Cable clutches

Starting:
  On Sunday, I went to start the truck and got nothing,
no clicks, nothing.  So I added a wire to the 'S' terminal,
turned the key one, and it fired right up.  Turned it off,
played with wires for quite a while, still no key starting.
Drove down to the gas station, filled up, and expected to
need to use my underhood start wire again, but this time it fired
up with the key.  Anyone else had this problem?
I don't know where to start looking for a problem since it
started working again.  Seems that it would be related, I
did move the wire bundle going to the firewall connector while
working on the clutch the previous nignt, but I checked those
wires and the plug in the engine side.

Cable Clutches:
  On Saturday, I identified the problem with my clutch:  the
main support for the brake/clutch pedal is DIFFERENT if you
have a cable clutch.  There is a bracket WELDED to it.  This
bracket is not there for mechanical, or hydraulic clutch rigs,
or on automatic rigs.  So International actually used a different
part depending on the type of tranny/clutch to be installed.
This part is a major tough item to remove, the steering column
much of the dash, brake booster, etc. have to come off for it
to come out.  I ended up making a bracket that I bolted in and
the clutch works much better, and the tranny shifts O.K. now.
It just wasn't fully disengaging the clutch before due to excessive
play.  I don't know if Scouts are the same, but it is something for
anyone converting an automatic to a manual to consider.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup