Mechanical tach, etc.

>Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 23:35:10 EDT
>From: n9ads@domain.elided (Howard R Pletcher)
>Subject: Re: Mechanical Tach. Drive
>
>I don't know anything about mechanically driven tachs other than those
>that were dirven off the distributor, but I do want to suggest that
>unless this were a SMALL cement mixer on a Loadstar chassis, whatever
>your find about how it was driven probable won't be applicable to your
>V-304/345/392 as the engine was likely one of the large V-8 series
>(V-401/461/549) and about the only thing common between the two series
>was the fact that they had 8 cylinders and an IH logo.
>
>If it was connected to the PTO, it's possible it could be on the input
>side so that it could be looking at a higher RPM than the drum.  In
>addition, it seems that usually a drum has a small gear driving a very
>large one on the drum, so a lot of the reduction is there.  I'd think the
>final drum RPM for transport is in the single digits, although they have
>a higher speed for mixing and dumping.
>
>Howard Pletcher
>Howteron Products Scout Parts

I have not had time to return to the junk yard, so I can't answer all
the questions that I (and others) have raised.  The truck is *older* (I
would guess) than my '65 Travelall, and *much* bigger.  I think that it
has a number on it (as in model number), but I don't remember what it is.
(I do have a *vague* recollection of a number, but I'm old enough to know
enough to *not* trust those vague recollections.  I will find out for
sure, and then report back.)  It would be interesting to discover that,
even though it was connected to the tranny input (let's suppose), it
would fit a distributor that had a mechanical tach connection.  (Is
that hoping against hope?)

So, I will try to clarify by seeing, with a flashlight, *exactly* where
the tach was connected, and what the model number of the truck is.  I
will also check my manual for any indication of a tach drive *somewhere*
in the vicinity of the engine/tranny.

PB Schechter
pb@domain.elided