Re: Broekn spring mount?

>        I think that if it were broken previously, we would have seen it on
the
>ramp at NWBRU?  You also would have heard some terrible clunking on
Well, I was thinking of this, but... 3 welds hold the mount in place.  As I
said, the last one to give out didn't... it tore the frame when it came off.
It's possible that the ONE outboard side weld was holding on for a while...
and when I went up the ramp, it was that same driver's side spring that I
compressed.. pushing it INTO place on the ramp...

Once we used the come-along to pull the spring back into place, it rode and
handled just fine.. and didn't move.  The weight of the Scout kept
everything in place.

>course, etc...  You've got a welder right?  No problem, just build it up
plenty
>thick!  Add more steel too!  Fleck, You ever reinforce these?  I'm still

My friend Mike welded it up yesterday... stronger welds than before, but we
didn't add any gussetting yet... Once I get my hands on a welder full-time,
I'll be doing all kinds of frame beefing.  :-)  What was that, Joel... Crazy
Glue for Big Boys?

>planning the shackle reverse for the front, should I think of another
option in
>light of recent events Tom?

IMO, Reverse Shackle is still a good idea.   I still plan on it for the
other Scout.  When building the fixed front mount (at the bumper), you'll be
overbuilding it anyhow... which should make it stronger.  Also, most of the
time, the axle will be moving *rearward* as it compresses, which should mean
less stress on the mount as well (stock, as you hit a rock, the axle wants
to go forward, while at the same time pushing backwards on the spring mount).

For a while I caught myself thinking how to make a truly strong spring mount
before I remember I was going reverse shackle. :-)

I was thinking... some appropriately sized square tubing.. cut two sides out
of it, and slip it up and over the frame rail.. heck, go *above* the frame
rail. Leave a box hanging below the frame to use for the spring mount.  Put
a couple bolts on the top (above the frame) for extra safety, then weld the
heck out of everything.  :-)

I'll be dangerous once I get a welder in hand.... ;)

-Tom