Re: Posi Rear Ends for Scouts?

>Hello all,
>
>I know I read some sort of thread on adding posi to the rear end of Scouts,
>but I can't locate it now.

OK, "posi-traction" is actually a GM flavor of Limited Slip.

For the Scout II Dana 44 axles, you have your choice of the Powr-Lok
(expensive, but the most "positive" locking LS), the Track-lok (cheaper,
less "lockable"), and the Detroit TruTrac (geared, never wear out).

None of which are "drop-ins"

If you KNOW you have a Tracklok rear end (factory option on SIIs), try
modulate the brake.. e-brake or brake pedal, and see if that can "bind-up"
the Tracklok.  Works for me at times.

For a drop-in "posI'... they don't exist.  OTOH, a Lockright *LOCKER* *will*
drop in, and set you back $250.  A Lockright is NOT a limited slip, but
instead is a full blown locking differential with it's accompanying handling
quirks.  But, for mo-traction...

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'77 Scout II - 4" lift, 33s, rear Tracklok, front Lockright, 4.09s...