Re: engine woes

Tom,

I agree about compression tests.  My Scout was 150 lowest, 172 highest.
I take all plugs out, throttle closed and run the engine for 10
compression strokes on each cyl.  Since these engines won't build
pressure like an air compressor, pumping till the pressure no longer
rises is a good way to go.  It is consistent.  That is the most important
parameter.

I usually use a comp test just to make sure there are no blown gaskets or
burnt valves.  As a test on rings it's an ok test.

If you have an engine which is missing, if the compression is the cause
you will find the compression reading down around zero.  Been there.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776