Engine swap

After being abducted by aliens, Phil wrote:
Hello to all ihc subscribers.

I have 1980 Scout 11 with a 345 V8.  I rebuilt my Scout fram up and
Coated it with Ford Candy Red with 3 coats of clear.
I want to replace the tired 345.  I have been told by several
mechanics that a Chevy 350 or 305 tune port feul injected is the
best bet for a swap.  Can anyone varify this for me.  I have found a
350 Tune port feul injected, I am now looking for a tranny that will
work for this aplication.  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
Phil Clelland
http://www.wwmall.com/c3
phil@domain.elided

Come on Phil!!!!!

I have a suggestion!
Make an appointment at the nearest Psychiatrist!!;)
Get a quality rebuild done to your 345.  I would imagine you will be
happier in the long run.  Plus 350s are @$$holes...Everybody has one!  Your
345 is a lot stronger than any 350 from the aircleaner stud all the way
down to the oil pickup.  So maybe you can't get all the aftermarket goodies
available for chev's, but your 345 was doesn't need all that fancy crap, it
was perfectly designed to suit its function off the showroom floor!  You've
done all that work to the body (the hard part), and now you are going to
cheat yourself by putting in a substandard engine?  I suppose it depends on
what you're planning to do with your Scout when its done.  The only uses I
can think of for changing the motor are drag racing and desert racing.
Real high speed, high revs are something IH didn't work into their plans.
Camping, fourwheeling, towing, plowing, working, low end torque consuming
tasks are what IH was thinking.  The 345 is perfect for these type of
tasks.  With some work and research you could get your 345 to spin up to
5500 - 6000 rpm range.  If you plan on showing off your Scout, judges
usually like to see OEM stuff rather than wildly dreamt up structures of
someone's bewildered imagination.
	Now to the money considerations.  You will spend well over what it
would cost for a quality 345 rebuild, Chev BB valve springs, chrome goodies,
 (est. $2000) and maybe even EFI(est. $1200) just on 350 crate engine and
all the adapters/customization and not to mention the headaches of having
to overcome all the stumbling blocks that will arise.  I don't know how
much of this kind of work you've done in the past, but I have a quick
example of how tough it can be.  My friend has a Chev 1 ton dump that came
stock with a 6.7 diesel auto.  You would think it would have been a quick
swap to drop in a gas SB crate motor and a four speed.  Not so, even though
all the parts are somewhat interchangeable and available it still took him
two weeks to complete with an adequately furnished (air tools, engine jack,
...) garage and not to mention he has twisted a few wrenches.

Bottom line Phil.
Your Scout came with a 345, you should keep it a 345!

Hope that helps;)
Tark '77 Terra 345/T19/D20