Engine swap

Philip Clelland <phil@domain.elided> wrote:

> I want to replace the tired 345.  I have been told by several
>mechanics that a Chevy 350 or 305 tune port fuel injected is the
>best bet for a swap.

Philip, my .02
I did a 350 swap under the misguided notion that the 345 was not worth
rebuilding.  My suggestion is to get the 345 rebuilt.  You can rebuild the
345 for somewhere in the $1,400 to $2,000 region, (and it is one stout motor
making 230 to 280 pounds of torque through the 800 to 3,600 rpm range)!  You
could spend that trying to get the  Chevy motor to fit right.  Here goes
from my experience:

1.  If you have a 727 automatic transmission, you are better off swapping in
a matching Chevy transmission and transfer case.  I don't know of any DANA
300 Scout to Chevy transmission adapters.  I think you can get a T19 adapter
kit for about $500.  You also need to buy motor mounts and fabricate new
trany cross members.

2.  The IH radiator is backwards to the Chevy water connections.  Spend more
money to modify the radiator to work.

There is a whole bunch of other stuff like correct engine placement for
proper cooling and the like that I won't burden the digest with tonight.

FYI, I will have the parts required to make the swap with an "old style"
Chevy 350 (including AA motor mounts), TCI TH-350 w/ B&M Traveler TC & AA
adapter to Dana-20 case once I am done converting my Scout back to a factory
spec power train.  If you do make the swap, please give those of us on the
list the opportunity to buy the old IH parts.

Leave the Chevy swap for the Jeeps, Toys and min-trucks that never had a V8
option.

Ralph