Re: Dana 20/300 automatic bull gear ID

I doubt if IH etched anything on the gears--Dana would have done that.
Looking at a Dana 20 gear I have, it has 300-111 etched on it and I've
never before heard that this is a consistent identifier.  I know that the
difference is in the teeth on the back side of the gear, not the outer
teeth. but I don't have a 300 gear to tell you the exact difference.  I
know the shape of these teeth is quite a bit different and I think there
may even be a different number of them.  Ask you question again in a
couple weeks when the guys get back from the RMIHR and NWBRU and I'd
expect Tom M or some of the others who've recently made changes will know
the differences.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Sat, 01 Aug 1998 01:16:51 EDT fly4scout@domain.elided (Mike D Ryan) writes:
>I was just looking at my Dana 300 bull gear that came off the T19
>4-speed trany, and  noticed "DANA 300" was etched on the side of the
>gear.  Did IH do this with all there gears?  Only on the Dana 300's?
>
>Does anyone know how to tell the difference between an automatic bull
>gear for a Dana 20 and an automatic bull gear for a Dana 300?  Did the
>gears for the automatics also have "DANA 300" or "DANA 20" etched on
>them, or is there another way to tell the difference, like the amount
>of teeth?  I can tell if a bull gear came from an automatic or manual
>transmission, but not if it's a Dana 20 or Dana 300 gear.  Could I be
>so lucky that all the gears have their type of case etched on them?

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]