Bent differential

To All,

At the famous Puyallup 4x4 swap meet I bought a complete 3.73 ratio  '44
rearend out of a mid seventies Scout.   Like new brakes, etc all for the
bargain price of $40!

  The problem with the unit is the passenger side axle tube is BENT.  It's
a smooth bend about midway between the pumpkin and the backing plate.  I'm
told these can be straightened, either with a large press or by heating
with a torch.  Has anyone had any experience straightening these?

  If straightening isn't an option, I'll put the guts into my existing rear
end.  Which brings up my second question.  How difficult is it to setup the
ring and pinion?  The going rate for labor seems to be about $150 for the
setup plus any parts that are needed.  Have any of you had good luck doing
this yourselves. (I have dial indicators, depth mikes, etc)

Thanks,  Doug  (with noisy rear diff)