Rear diff repair

Hello, cyberbinders

	The reason I'm writing this note is twofold: 1)to celebrate the
glorious return of my '73 Scout from the local tranny shop where she's been
sitting for the past week while my rear differential (formerly track-lock
equipped) is being repaired. She's due home tomorrow.  2) to share my
experiences with that particular piece of mechanical wonder that is the
track(crap)-lock.  This the second time I've had to do this in 2 years of
owning the scout!  The first time the sucker blew up, I had the rear end
rebuilt using a used track-lock unit. Had no idea what I was getting into
(the mechanic wasn't much help in enlightening me).  All I knew is that I
could pay $350 for the crap-lock(used) installed or some ungodly amount for
a power-lock.  Well, you can guess which route I'm going this time! That's
right, I'm having the thing rebuilt with a brand new power lock.  I felt
like someone took one to my head when I found out how much it would cost,
however.
	I just wanted to see if I'm the only one out there who's had this
experience- I was tempted to go with a new track lock, just because it cost
about $300 less than the power lock (no, that's not a misprint) but I
decided to go with the better unit and I must admit I'm suffering a bit of
buyer's remorse (that and I've got to figure out how the heck to pay my rent
next week!) Plus, I didn't really want a locker, as the scout is also my
daily driver. So, everyone, did I do the right thing?

Matt Neff
Corvallis, OR