gas tank woes

   I need help.
   I can't get gas in my tank. When I try to fill it the gas backs up
the fill pipe and will overflow if I don't watch it. I have to stand and
squirt a little and wait squirt a little and wait. The problem is I
thought I had fixed it. I pulled the vent hose off and blew air through
it and right after that I was able to fill the tank up. When that tank
became empty I can't fill it again. This is on the 71. It appears that
the fill pipes on the 71 and the 79 are arranged differently. The vent
on the 71 is in the bottom of the pipe right where it turns to the cap,
whereas the 79 is located in the side of the pipe right below the cap.
Would thios make a difference? Should I swap the pipe from my 78 parts
truck? Is the problem something else? Oh, if I take a jerry can and pour
it in it will take that with no problem, no overfill or back-up. I have
a 7 gallon can that I use to fill it when it won't take gas but that is
annoying.

                       Dan Nees
                cookiedan@domain.elided
                 Just say Yes to IHC.