Re: TravelTop seal preservation

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Roger Scow wrote:

> So, my question is, what is the concensus on seal preservation.  When
> I take off the top, I plan to store the seals some how so they last.
>
> ArmorAll, or silicone spray, or a nitrogen chamber, or suspended
> animation, or cryonics, or what?  Plastic bag, vs earthenware crock
> buried in the back yard, vs. nothing.

This may not apply because of different synthetic rubber compounds etc.
I had one full unopened bag of rubber bands left over from the paper
route I had when I was a kid.  I hung onto that bag until I had a use
for them, over 20 years later, and they were as good as new.  Of course
we all know what happens to rubber bands that are left exposed to the
air for a few years.  So I think the key is keeping them enclosed in
something that doesn't allow air to circulate.  The bag of rubber bands
had vent holes in it so wasn't completely airtight.  My theory is that
escaping gases causes the rubber to age, but if these gases are kept
mostly confined around the rubber, it won't age.

I'd recommend against ArmorAll.  It created hairline spider web cracks
in the previously almost perfect vinyl top & dash of my '69 Charger.
I've since heard that once you use it, you have to keep using it
regularly, or that'll happen.

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 // VISA & MasterCard
*HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
 Grain mills, water filters, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors products
*INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt, 1783