RE: Commance 152 question

>I have a question regarding my 152 that is not covered
>(or at least I can't find) in my manual.
>
>On the drivers side of the engine, there is what looks
>to be a heater hose sticking straight out. The hose
>is about 4 or 5 inches long, and is attached to the
>pan that covers the lifting rod. The other end of the
>hose is not attached to anything. Is this some sort
>of breather thingy, or what??? I don't think pcv valves
>were around in 1965, is this what they used before,
>or should something else be there in its' place??
>
>Thanks for the help,
>
>John Townley
>San Diego, CA
>65 Scout 80

PCV systems were definitely in use(and required) in CA in the early 60's.
My '63 Scout 80 and my '64 T-all both have factory installed PCV systems to
meet the requirement. Starting in '68 IIRC, the PCV had to be a closed
system, that is the intake for the crankcase had to be downstream of the
carb air cleaner so that oil vapor could not escape through the intake.
Prior to that, a 'road draft tube' was used which vented crankcase vapors
directly to the atmosphere. Road draft tubes had to extend below the
chassis far enough so that airflow under the vehicle created a partial
vacuum on the end of the tube. Most road draft tubes have an angle cut on
the end to help facilitate the pressure differential at lower speeds.
sounds like you're missing a few pieces/parts from your PCV system. I can't
recall off hand the exact routing of the Scout 80 PCV system, but it is
pictured in the parts manual, and I'm surprised it's not covered in the
shop manual since it's a maintenance item.

Jim