Re: draining air tanks

>I have custom front/rear rock bumpers that hold air.  The discussion
>about blowing them out & rust got me to thinking about condensation
>etc.  How can I keep them from rusting out?  Granted, they are hd and
>stout.  Unfortunately, the valve stems are on the sides instead of the
>bottom, so draining would be difficult.
Rob,
Having built a number of air tank/bumpers, always-way-too-hell-for-stout
based on the information from the engineers on the digest the other day,
let me tell you that in my opinion the most important thing you can do
for your tanks is to put a drain in the bottom on one end or the other.
So that all the water can get out, I'd make the fitting completely on the
outside such as welding a nut over a hole in the tank and putting a set
screw or something that didn't protrude too much in as a seal. Without
this being a valve of some kind or another, to be safe, you'd have to
pretty much reduce internal pressure to zero before taking out the drain
plug, and then you'd want to put some air back in to drive out any water
that gravity hadn't taken care of. A valve as a drain would work better
but in my opinion is too susceptible to damage.
John Hofstetter

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Founder of DARK  "DRIVERS AGAINST RIDICULOUS KRAP"
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"