Commance 152 question

Fellow Harvesters,

I have a question regarding my 152 that is not covered
(or at least I can't find) in my manual.

On the drivers side of the engine, there is what looks
to be a heater hose sticking straight out. The hose
is about 4 or 5 inches long, and is attached to the
pan that covers the lifting rod. The other end of the
hose is not attached to anything. Is this some sort
of breather thingy, or what??? I don't think pcv valves
were around in 1965, is this what they used before,
or should something else be there in its' place??

Thanks for the help,

John Townley
San Diego, CA
65 Scout 80