200 MPH

Harvestors,

A quick note on the 200 MPH thread:  If memory serves right, the first
car to hit 200 MPH on a closed track was the Dodge Superbird (426 cid
hemi) driven by Richard Petty.  (During speed trails, not during an
actual NASCAR event).  The stock 426 Hemi had 425 HP.  I doubt that the
highly modified Richard Petty car had anything close to 700.  I would
guess max a little over 600 HP.  It would seem that the limiting factor
is air resistance and gearing, and that HP has very little part in the
equation...

On a Scout note:  I'm wondering how to increase torque in my new (to me)
stock 345.  I know that I can get a little boost in HP with a K&N filter
and new ignition, but will this also up the torque?  With my 3.31 gears,
torque is a much more important factor for my trail truck than HP.

Thanks,
--Doug Wooten
--'62 Travelall, '72 Scout, '97 Rodeo
--Georgia Bounty Runners