Re: 200 MPH

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998 09:09:01 -0600  Doug Wooten <DWooten@domain.elided>
writes:
>Harvestors,
>
>A quick note on the 200 MPH thread:  If memory serves right, the first
>car to hit 200 MPH on a closed track was the Dodge Superbird (426 cid
>hemi) driven by Richard Petty.  (During speed trails, not during an
>actual NASCAR event).  The stock 426 Hemi had 425 HP.  I doubt that the
>highly modified Richard Petty car had anything close to 700.  I would
>guess max a little over 600 HP.  It would seem that the limiting factor
>is air resistance and gearing, and that HP has very little part in the
>equation...

Just read in Sports Illustrated that Buddy Baker was the first to hit 200
driving a Dodge Daytona in 1970--perhaps this is the first official 200
and Petty's was in practice.

AIr resistance is the limiting factor, but the thing it takes to overcome
it is HP.  Gearing just translates the 6000 engine rpm (or whatever)
needed to produce its maximum HP to the 2000 (or whatever) wheel rpm is
needed to go 200 mph.  If the gearing is wrong, the engine may be turning
5800 or 6200 rpm as the speed approaches 200 and not producing the HP
needed to overcome the air resistance.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]