Re: Identify Scout 80

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 07:10:38 -0800 John.Townley@domain.elided (John
Townley) writes:

>Given that determination, my 1965 (titled) Scout 80 (has fold down
>windsheild, turn down handles, no latch on tail gate, etc) was
>really built in 1963. (serial number FC119083A). Does this mean that
>my Scout sat around on a sales lot for up to 2 years before it was
>sold???

Nope, most of the info on identifying the Scout 80 was pretty accurate,
but the year is not in the serial number.  The very first Scout 80 was
FC501 and it ran down the line on 12/1/60.  I guess it was considered a
'61 model, so it fits this time, but the next one was FC502 and they
didn't wait a year to built it.  The numbers were assigned sequentially
starting with 501 and the only way to tell the year is if you know when
the year breaks were made.  I have read that FC100501, the 100,000th
Scout came offline in September 64 and yours would have been a couple
months after that.  However, it would not be unusual for a vehicle built
in 63 to be titled as a 65 if it were sold then as that was common until
the late 60's when annual model changes became almost mandatory.  The
same happened with cars in the 30's and 40's.  I just read that Packard
did not have actual model years until their 1951 models and cars in stock
at the dealers on 11/1/48 received tags showing them as 49's, etc.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]