dashpot removal

 The throttle stop/dashpot on the driver's side of the carb, that is
supposed to keep the beast from backfiring under heavy decel mode.  Was
it there because of the engine or the carb that they selected?  If you
went with an aftermarket carb ( oh, lets say a holley spread bore) would
you need to remount the dashpot assembly?

  Michael,
 The way I understand it the dashpot is a device for emissions use. It is used when your engine RPM's drop fast. If you're in neutral and peg the gas fast and then get off of it the dashpot should bring the engine RPM back down to idle slower than usual. The theory is that more gases will be burned, than if the engine just dropped back to idle by itself. It won't hurt if you don't use one on a new carb. As far as performance goes anyway. When I put the Holley Double pumper on the Mustang, I didn't give the old carb or dashpot a second look when I tossed them out.
   Andrew Thomas
   lynx@domain.elided
   '69 1200 4x4
   "I spilled spot remover on my dog, now he's gone"