Re: Alt. pulleys

On 3 Mar 1998 14:59:07 -0600 "Willy Cunningham"
<willy_cunningham@domain.elided> writes:
>Harvesters,
>I am about to switch a 67 amp. alternator from a 77 Terra into my
>77SS II (which has a 32? amp. alt.). The 67 amp. alt. has one pully, the

>old alt. has two. It looks like a bear to get the pulleys off, so my
plan
>(unless you stop me) is to go with the single belt pulley. This will
free
>up a pully on my crank so someday I can put more junk under the hood.
>
>Thinking about adding a belt drive grain mill, or a meat grinder (handy
>come hunting season), or a belt driven blender..........;-)
>Any way, whats the vote. one pulley or two?

I don't know what it takes to turn the alternator under load, but one
thought I had on the double belt setup is that those two belts are also
required to turn the water pump AND indirectly, the air conditioning
compressor (or air compressor on Tom's Scout) if so equipped since that
is driven off the water pump.  I'm not saying you should go to one belt
(I probably wouldn't if I had a choice), but the two seem to be there for
more than just the alternator.  63 A * 12V = 756 Watts--I forget the
conversion to horsepower, but I don't think that's more than a large
pony.

I'd vote for a belt-driven ice cream freezer--just the trick after a hot
day in the desert!

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]