Re: Transfer case

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998 hofs@domain.elided wrote:

> Front right wheel bearing noise gets transferred somehow to the
> transfer case, at least in the case of Scouts. I tore down a transfer
> case once and only after finding it looking perfect and putting it
> back together, did I get to the wheel bearing.
> I don't know that you should be so lucky as to have the bearing as the
> source of your noise, but it's worth taking a look. Sounds strange, I
> know, but it's true.

Seems like the best way to find out for sure, without having to
disassemble much of anything, would be to drop the front driveshaft and
drive around the block.  The sound would have to travel up the
driveshaft to get from the wheel bearing to the transfer case.

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 // VISA & MasterCard
*HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
 Grain mills, water filters, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors products
*INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt, 1783