Re: Transfer case

>Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 12:38:34 -0800 (PST)
>From: Sean Sullivan <lordsean@domain.elided>
>Subject: 800 transfer case
>
>Hiya all!
>Been lurking here for about a year and a half, but for some reason,
>never written in.  Now, I've got a question for y'all.  My 70 800A is
>my baby, a former California Fire Service truck, now doing duty as my
>Daily Driver in Cold-wet-miserable New Hampshire.  Over the past year,
>my transfer case has begun making noise.  Its a grinding noise, that
>almost sounds like the noise from a wind-up toy, or something.  My
>first thought, was bad bearings.  I brought it to th local garage, and
>they took it apart, put it back together and told me there was nothing
>wrong.  I knew something wasn't right, but figured that if they
>couldn't see anything, then no big deal, right?  Well, the noise
>stayed, then decided to get louder.  I bring her to another garage,
>the tear it apart, put it back together, tell me there's nothing
>wrong.  Okay, so I keep driving.  Now, BOOM, the noise jumps from
>being obnoxious, to being louder than that 304 under the hood, and my
>dual glasspacks.  Not an easy noise to overwhelm, but it did it.  My
>assessmenet of the situation... Something is wrong.  I bring it to the
>transmission shop, they charge me $60 dollars to tell me something is
>wrong with my transfer case.  Okay, so several months later, and 60
>dollars poorer, someone tells me what i knew in the beginning.  They
>also tell me it will cost a good 1800 to rebuild the t-case.   I don't
>think so.  Anyone out there ever have a similar problem with the case
>that could point me in the direction of what the problem is?   Or
>maybe just know of a quality place to get my t-case rebuilt/replaced??
>  Thanks, and sorry to take up so much bandwith with my first posting.
>=)
>- -Sully

Sully,
Front right wheel bearing noise gets transferred somehow to the transfer
case, at least in the case of Scouts. I tore down a transfer case once
and only after finding it looking perfect and putting it back together,
did I get to the wheel bearing.
I don't know that you should be so lucky as to have the bearing as the
source of your noise, but it's worth taking a look. Sounds strange, I
know, but it's true.
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Founder of DARK  "DRIVERS AGAINST RIDICULOUS KRAP"
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"