Non-Detergent Oil?

>What is the difference between Non-Detergent oil and regular oil?

Finally, a question I can share experience. Unfortunately.

Jeffrey,

"regular" oil is also known as detergent oil (Maybe I'm dating myself here
but...). Detergent oil is designed to flush out impurities from the system
which are then removed when you change the oil. With non-detergent oil, the
impurities would be absorbed by the bearings which was fine in most cases.

I believe the detergent oil was the only type originally and was replaced
with detergent oil. I'm sure other digesters can correct me if I'm wrong on
this point.

One thing I know for sure is, if you run a car for 10 years or so on
non-detergent oil and then switch to detergent, it will wash out enough
impurities from your bearings to cause enough slop that you will throw a
rod.  :(

In 1979, I bought a 1970 Foord van and started putting in detergent oil. It
didn't take long before the rods were knockin'. That was a lesson learned.
An even better lesson is this: When you think rods are knockin', don't
drive it until a piston gets thrown into the oil pan. It will happen at the
most inopportune moment.

Oops, I think I'm rambling again.

Scott Machalk
1979 Scout II 345 727