Re: Starter problems

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Yank Yarborough wrote:

> I've looked for the firewall connector that has been mentioned as
> being the culprit. Where is this connector. On the master cylinder
> side or the heater side? Does it unplug from the inside or from under
> the hood?

On my '76 Terra, it's in the middle of the firewall, just right of
center (right side of the vehicle, that is).  It unplugs from the engine
side.  It's the one with 2 big wires (10ga?) and a bunch of small ones.
Once in a while the starter won't do anything, so I unplug & reseat the
connector and it works fine.  A couple times I've squeezed the metal
connectors a bit, and/or smeared a little conductive grease on 'em, but
sooner or later I'm gonna have to replace the whole connector with a
heavy duty AMP connector or something, as some have done, because it's
just plain worn out.

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 // VISA & MasterCard
*HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
 Grain mills, water filters, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors products
*INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt, 1783