Starter problems

IH All,
Strange, but I've been having starter problems also. About 6 months ago, I
replaced the battery, starter and the switch that's mounted on the steering
column. Still, on occasion, I just get just a click when I turn the key.
Sometimes, she eventually turns over. But the other day, I had to jump
across the the starter connections to get her started. Drove home, made
sure that everything was tight, still no start. Jumped across the
connectors, started up and drove to Autozone to test the system. Of course,
she started everytime I turned the key and tested good. Been starting fine
since. (The next day my wifes Trooper died at Autozone, but that's another
story. Bad starter.)
I've looked for the firewall connector that has been mentioned as being the
culprit. Where is this connector. On the master cylinder side or the heater
side? Does it unplug from the inside or from under the hood? Thanks in
advance for your replys,
Yank

73 & 79 Scout II's